Friday, January 23, 2015

Fixing my Body

So before I went on vacation, I did a very responsible thing and got an injury prevention assessment done at NYU's Harkness Center for Dance Injuries, to shed some light on my left side situation and work on my "fix my body" resolution.

Apparently my left side doesn't work as efficiently as my right, and my left gluteus medius and inner thigh muscle are weak, which is causing my left hip flexor pain, which in turn is causing my back to hurt.  They gave me a bunch of exercises that are supposed to help.  If anyone here is in New York, I highly recommend getting this done; it is FREE and FANTASTIC.

Oh also this is a cool thing that happened.  At the end the PT was like oh can you turn on this floor?  And I was like...I think I will stick (but actually I was just terrified to turn in front of her).  But she insisted and I just did it!  Bam!  Turn! And it was even a pretty good one. And then I accidentally went en dedans for the second one, and apologized for going the wrong way, but she said "Great control though!"  And then I turned the right away and it worked again!  I don't know how I did it, as I definitely don't always get all the way around in class...

Oh but

Now I'm on vacation, and on the first day I sprained my ankle hiking.

:-|

So much line face.

2 comments:

  1. The injury prevention assessment sounds awesome! Sometimes a little pressure to perform can be exactly what we need (or maybe you are just someone who likes a sticky floor... like me).
    Sucks about the ankle :( Hope it doesn't ruin your trip or keep you out of class when you get back.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wonder if turns are 95% in our heads!

    No more hiking on the trip as yet, but lots of lying around on the beach and snorkeling. I am really worried about getting back to class though. :(

    ReplyDelete