Thursday, January 29, 2015

Friends at the Studio

Do you make friends with people at your dance studio?  I am naturally pretty open, outgoing and friendly.  At ballet, I always chat with people in the dressing room, say hello to the people I see regularly and smile at the people I don't know in class.  There was even a girl I took the subway with after classes, but she switched to a different day because of her schedule.

But there is a part of me that doesn't want to get to know anyone too well in the ballet studio I go to.  I train with people 15-20 hours a week at my other movement studio.  All of the intensive students, company members, company apprentices (this includes me), and regular students know each other.  Sometimes it is emotionally exhausting.  Especially because performers are not always the easiest people.  We are all so involved in each other's lives.

When I go to ballet, I feel a nice cloak of anonymity.  People may know my name and face, but we don't know each other's drama.  I can just go and take class and leave, no baggage.  I love taking class when I'm in a different place, to be able to come and go freely, without expectation.

2 comments:

  1. I couldn't agree more, actually. It's nice to chat, and hang out with people not normally in your circle, even go for a drink after class, but after that, it's all over. They all don't need to know about my drama, and I don't need to know about theirs, unless it involves words like adagio, turnout and arches.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello, I'm a dancer in NYC and the owner of the ballet greeting cards company, Teeny Trina Inc. We're a very new business and I was wondering whether you would be interested in doing a blog post about our Adult Ballet Valentines Day card. You could check it out at www.teenytrina.com. In March we are coming out with our full Spring Collection and we are offering an Affiliates Program which gives bloggers a chance to post our link and automatically receive a 50% commission on all associated sales. I'd love to hear from you. Feel free to send us a Facebook message or an email to info@teenytrina.com. Best wishes, Oshi

    ReplyDelete