Friday, May 22, 2015

Frappés

So back in the day, frappés would definitely have been on my list as a movement I don't like to do.  However, I've actually grown to become quite fond of them.  I find it fun when my teacher says to do them again while telling the pianist to go faster.  Doubles go great.  I now enjoy their precision and speed.

But!  Sometimes a teacher will throw something new into a frappé combination and it all goes haywire.  For example, one time FBT asked for one count held at the ankle.  Sounds simple enough, but most of my teachers usually have us hold in the extended position (if there is a hold), so I was fighting my muscle memory the whole time.

This week, I skipped out on Other Movement on Wednesday to take ballet because this teacher was subbing and I wanted to take the class.  For frappé, he had us doing them from WRAPPED sur le cou-de-pied for avant.  Wrapped!  We normally do flexed.  How the heck are you supposed to get around your ankle from wrapped to strike the floor?  I did not really figure it out.

Interestingly enough, I once read that sur le cou-de-pied and frappé are the things that vary most from school to school.

4 comments:

  1. frappés en derrier has to be one of my most hated movements as everything just feels and looks so weird! As for sur le cou-de-pied, its quite funny as how my teacher likes to do it on double count, and everyone looks like they're using their legs to scratch their ankles.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Frappes derriere make me think of chickens scratching dirt!

      Delete
  2. I've mostly the sur le cou-de-pied version, but sometimes we do them from flex. It's so weird. Getting your ancle to point fully from flex that fast. Mindboggling!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just goes to show how strong that muscle memory is!

      Delete